Since childhood, Kennedy Odede faced intolerable hardship, but he never let a bad draw undermine his determination to uplift both himself and his community. It’s not until you hear Mr. Odede speak that you can believe he holds such a positive and hopeful outlook on life. Together with his wife, Jessica Posner, Kennedy has grown Shining Hope for Communities into a powerhouse of change for Kenya’s largest slum and beyond. Last October they released their book Find Me Unafraid: Love, Loss, and Hope in an African Slum, which has recently been released on paperback.
In this episode, Kennedy and Jessica discuss the key to community-driven solutions to poverty. Both inspiring and practical, they reveal the challenges behind empowerment and the methods that have worked well for their organization. You’ll learn:
- How to adopt a partnership mindset that’s actually fruitful
- Why empowerment isn’t just in the hands of nonprofits
- How SHOFCO enables leaders within the communities where they work
- How SHOFCO’s holistic approach to poverty works
- How to tell the stories of beneficiaries on the ground to donors in the US